Good morning One Tonners!
Newbie here wantin to know if I can join the group!? Well, not a Newbie to Stovebolt.com or to Stovebolts but just to AD’’s and more specifically 1 tons.
You see, this story begins back in September while a bunch of us were attending the Tri-State Antique Truck Show in Winchester Virginia, a show not to be missed and one that has turned into a big time Stovebolt/ODSS gathering. Most of the guys in this group knew that one day I dreamed of purchasing a one ton pick-up. I have always been enamored by the Stovebolt Flagship, Charlie, an unrestored '49 3800.There are lots of 3100’s around and I like being a little different (not too much of a stretch for me!) and love the 9’ bed.
There is a swap meet at this truck show and Grigg Mullen happen to strike up a conversation with a fella that had a ton and a half cab and chassis for sale. He mentioned to Grigg that he had a few trucks that he purchased at an estate auction that he was selling. Yep, one was a 1950 3800 reported to be in unbelievable original condition. Grigg rushed back to camp to tell me about it and said, “we need to go to West Virginia see this truck tonight”!. Saturday is the last night of the show and I had dinner to prepare. Intrigued yes but, what about the burgers?! I think Grigg may have been slightly disappointed but waited for the gentleman to get home and take some pictures of the truck and text them to us. The burgers were on the grill about the time those pictures got to us and boy, the truck sure looked nice from what we could see. Still I was hemming and hawing and kicking the ground, wondering where I would come up with the money and questioning the timing of this whole thing at the same time thinking, if this truck is that nice, it sure would be a shame to let it slip away. You know, that feeling when both sides of your brain are in a fierce battle??
The next day, Grigg got up and left for, you guessed it West Va. to see the 3800. Meanwhile, I was packing up camp and trucks and getting ready to make my way back to Maryland with the motorhome, truck trailer and COE. About the time I was pulling into the garage with the motorhome home Grigg called. I asked him about the truck and he went on and on about how nice it was. He said the truck had no serious rust, no dents other than a slight crease in one running board, original headliner, rubber floor mat and seat cover, etc. etc. So, I asked how he left it and he said, “I bought it!”. Whaaat? I think I asked him how he was going to explain to his wife that he was coming home with another truck and he said, “I’m just going to tell her I bought this truck for my friend Billy Marlow”. I almost fell out of the motorhome seat…But, but? He said, “when you are ready for it, it will be here. If you decide you don’t want it, then I will keep it myself or sell it to another Stovebolter. No pressure”. Wow, what a guy! I think I walked around in a daze the rest of the day. Not sure how I managed to get everything put away and dried out. (Yes, it was a truck show, it always seems to rain at some point during a truck show, especially Winchester!

)
The next couple of months were spent with Grigg getting the title corrected to match the vin number on the truck and it bought me some time to raise the cash necessary to buy it. Thankfully, we had a nice little snow storm

in the early part of January that I plowed and that really helped with some pennies from heaven.
So, on January 27th I hooked up the trailer and headed towards Lexington Va to officially become a member of the One Ton Owners Club.
The truck is truly a survivor and in really nice shape. It runs fine but needs brake work. Even the underside is not all rusty or pitted. I really think with a new master cylinder and wheel cylinders I will be able to take a spin around the neighborhood.
Long term plan? Not entirely sure at the moment. I really haven’t finished my big truck project nor have I gotten to enjoy it on the road yet and, that project dragged on for 8+ years so, I’m not ready to tear another one apart just yet.
https://photos.google.com/share/AF1...dnhrQ2l2SWJSXzZRYVZGZnkzWDkxbmJqX0lEZk5R I think I will most likely make the ‘50 mechanically sound and roadworthy and enjoy it as is for a year or so. Then I will decide whether it will become a full on restoration.
I can't thank Grigg enough. He is extremely knowledgeable, helpful and generous and most importantly a true friend.
Thank you Grigg.
Here's the way the truck looked when Grigg got it to his house
https://photos.google.com/share/AF1...MFdUQkdwQTRuT1NUbHRjUUtIOEN4akw1RDdkYnlRGrigg scrubbed some of the green slim off to show its true color!
https://photos.google.com/share/AF1...MFdUQkdwQTRuT1NUbHRjUUtIOEN4akw1RDdkYnlRNew owner day!
https://photos.google.com/share/AF1...MFdUQkdwQTRuT1NUbHRjUUtIOEN4akw1RDdkYnlRAt my house.
https://photos.google.com/share/AF1...MFdUQkdwQTRuT1NUbHRjUUtIOEN4akw1RDdkYnlR