My 51 was bought new by a farmer in Indiana and when it wasn't working it lived in a barn. It stayed on that farm until 1989 when the old farmer died and a neighbor bought it, doing a cosmetic rehab...without touching the drivetrain or anything on the underside. When I got it there was 63 years worth of an oil saturated dirt mud encapsulating the frame and all attachments. When it was good and hot that first August of ownership, I started spraying diesel on the encapsulated frame. After 3 or 4 days of spraying daily with a pump up sprayer I donned coveralls, goggles and started cleaning with a gasket scraper, a couple screwdrivers and wire brushes. As Steve said, under the crud was near new black paint. After a couple days of gouging, scraping and brushing I sprayed the newly liberated frame and everything else that was now clean with straight Purple Power and then started washing with a 120v pressure washer. Frame came out looking too good to mess with. That was 4 years ago and it's still original with no extra effort beyond the occasional car wash spray.

Good Luck,
RonR


RonR


1951 3600 with Clark flatbed, T5, 4.10 rear
1970 340 Duster
1990 5.0 V8 Miata (1990 Mustang Gt Drivetrain)
1964 CJ5