Don’t get to excited about fast gears without better brakes and more power.
What do you have for an engine?
My seat of the pants feeling is a 235 or 228 in a 1 ton is good with 4.10, and depending on location, driving style, and what you haul or not then 3.73 might be OK. After that probably need more engine and pretty sure more modern brakes would be appreciated.
Grigg - 235 with a 3/4 race cam, polished and shaved heads, Pertronix. Stock intake, carb, exhaust. It has just enough rumble to notice with a good ear. I have had it turning 4,500 rpm at 100 mph. Timed by my son, the speedo was pegged at 90. I have hauled some heavy load, but am now osing a walker, so the truck's primary work load is to the lumber yard.
My reason for the change is brakes. My 52 has Huck, and I need drums. Last time I checked used drums were $75, no guarantee they could be turned. I had another HO52 from a 69, thought I could swap the brakes & hub. But I found the 69 axle has an extra inch from the backing plate to the axle end. Was considering having the housings cut, but decided to go with the 14 bolt.