I am working on a 53 half ton that is very rough. My rolling chassis is completed and I'm now ready to start on the cab, which I removed in the beginning. Mostly everything in the bottom of the cab is rusted beyond use, and much of it is gone. The doors were already removed when I bought the truck, but I have the doors. I'm a little confused as to how and where to start. I"m afraid that the front and rear of the cab may be spread apart because both rockers are completely missing. Somebody tacked in a piece of light gauge box tube on the drivers side, apparently just to hold it together. The rear of the cab was still attached to the shackles. The cab front still had loose bolts in it, but they weren't really holding it down. It seems to me that the doors might need to be installed in order to align things, but installing the doors would also make it more difficult to get to everything. I'm guessing that, without the doors installed, measurements would be unbelievably critical, and would have to be extremely accurate. I will be replacing every panel that goes at or in the lower area of the cab. Is there a critical order to which panels should go first. I'm really looking forward to starting on the cab, but am concerned about possibly having to tear things back apart that I do now. Been there and done that a time or two on other projects. Any guidance, tips, hints, etc. will be much appreciated. I have always found that the hardest part of any job is just getting started. This is no exception.


Mike Burns
1940 Chev 1/2 ton
1953 Chev 1/2 ton
1950 Studebaker Starlight Coupe
1947 Indian Chief
1943 Indian 741