Okay, I think you're right, it's time to start from scratch and set everything to "factory" spec instead of assuming what the previous owner told was correct. The story goes... the PO had the brakes done at a shop and drove the truck around town several times before parking it. He was going to restore it with his son but his son never got interested so it sat for about two or three years before I bought it. After I got it it sat for another two years (I can't believe it went that fast) and that brings me to today. The plugs, points and condenser look new, although you can tell they were used for a short while. When I try to start it it turns over at what I would consider normal speed, sounds like it has compression (I haven't checked) but never gives a hint of starting. I tried carb cleaner and gasoline in the carb at first before realizing that it wasn't getting spark.

I can rebuild engines (and a few transmissions), adjust mechanical fuel injection and tune duel carb setups on old BMW's but I haven't been able to get a simple points ignition system working on an old truck. Yeah baby! 8-/ I'll work through a checklist from the beginning...