Careful with that windshield and setting tape stuff. So far my one major SNAFU has been just that.

Both halves of the windshield were cracked when I brought the truck home, I did get the glass out in one piece and it was useable for a pattern. There had been setting tape around the old glass so I bought some and took the new tape and old glass to a reputable auto glass installer.

When I got the two halves back the new glass was not pushed all the way into the outer parts of the frame and the center ends of the frames were spread apart an extra ½”. The glass place would not accept any responsibility, so I was forced to try a fix. Well I managed to break both glass pieces trying to get them out of the frames. $120.00 As it turns out the new safety glass was slightly thicker that the safety glass that had been in the truck. I know because I measured it. So with the setting tape there was not enough room in the frame for the thicker glass.

I ended up taking the frames and original glass to a different installer. I ask them to be sure the new glass was installed all the way into the frame and gave them the dimension for the ends of the frames. I also ask them if they could set and seal the glass with black silicone. The windshield looks great and fits perfectly.


1941 Chevy Master 3/4-Ton
In the Gallery
More images in the Bolt Bucket

Born to fish, the truck is only a hobby.