Yep, I pull the choke, turn the ignition on, (never have stepped on the gas), then step on the starter. I found out by accident that the starter is always hot (ignition on or not) a few months ago, and started a thread because I thought something was wired wrong.
I will make sure that I pull the choke out fully from now on, because I don't think I'm pulling it out all the way after reading that it should be closed up as soon as the engine is able to idle on its own. I don't let it turn over much longer than 3 seconds at a time (if that long) because I'm worried about engine wear and usually only try 2x's before I put gas down the carb. I only add a small amount and it fires right up.
Thoughts on the 52 jet size?
I think that is the size for a 216, and I guess someone before me could have drilled out the 52, but I'd have no way of knowing. I may see if I can visually notice a difference between the 52 and 56 that I have now.