So I got my gas tank relocation finished today. Try as I might, I couldn't retain the original spare tire crossmember; I had to replace it with a rectangular tube.

Originally Posted by Squire
I did not want the filler door in the body or fender...... so I recessed the filler into the rear of the cargo area. With the filler door flush with the wooden floor and the mat over it......you never know its there till fill up time.
While I like the looks and convenience of a fender-mount filler, like you I don't want to cut holes in my body or fender (oh, the limitations of having a pristine body!). So I also plan to locate the filler inside the barn doors with an access door on the floor.

Originally Posted by yellosub54
Check out the gas tank for a 1980's-2000's S10 Blazer.
I did use a Blazer tank in my last 1950 pickup and it worked perfectly. But the Blazer is a left fill and for this panel truck I preferred a center fill.

Originally Posted by MNSmith
The problem with the Suburban/Panel is that the hole is pretty low on the body. It might take a little engineering, but it is probably possible.
You're right: it's probably possible - but I've abandoned the idea and will just go with a rear fill inside the barn doors with an access door to prevent fume intrusion.
Attachments
20180210_164716 (Small).jpg (53.73 KB, 218 downloads)
20180210_165059 (Small).jpg (56.42 KB, 210 downloads)


1951 Chevy Panel Truck