Originally Posted by miraclepieco
This subject has been covered extensively on the pickup forums, but as you all know a panel truck is a bit different. Plus my panel has a rear 4-link suspension that precludes mounting the gas tank in the original spot along the passenger-side frame rail. So I've gotta put it in back. Anyone relocated their gas tank to the rear? What tank did you use? Is it possible to run the filler tube up to the original location?


I removed my 51 tank and replaced it with a 1970 Mustang tank. (its a 20 gallon unit). This was on the advice of a gentleman
at Jim Carter that was most knowledgable on AD Panels.

The tank fits quite nicely between the frame rails.
However, You DO have to Weld up the
filler hole. Then get the tank positioned where you want it under there and:

1.) decide where you want the new filler hole to be
2.) fab up straps and cinch it up...then
3.) mark where the new filler hole will be.

It tucks up nice and close to the floor board and looks factory in my opinion.

I did not want the filler door in the body or fender...... so I recessed the filler into the rear of the cargo area.
With the filler door flush with the wooden floor and the mat over it......you never know its there till fill up time.

Thats how I did it.