Ok, I've been out doing a bunch of the recommendations here so let me clarify a few things:
The truck was converted to12v by someone else a long time ago.
I put the 235 engine in with the original ratty wires and it ran and turned off just fine.
I put in a new wiring harness and it won't turn off.
Three wires go to the key side of the ignition. One to the + coil, one to amp meter and one to fuel tank.
If I remove the wire to the amp meter it turns on AND off just fine. No dieseling or run on of any type so not the timing.
I believe that somewhere I have a wire in the wrong place - and it is coming off the amp meter. The lights seem to work correctly but I'm guessing I have something wrong at the light switch, voltage regulator, or generator? One more thing that is really troubling - when the engine is running - switch on or off - the voltage at the coil is running around 32 volts. UGH.
Ronnie - I think it does have the original distributor, certainly not an HEI. So the ballast resistor wire may have been overlooked. I best look into that in more detail. It has a12-volt coil, but there is no ballast resistor between the coil and the distributor. -- EDIT: Oops somehow I forgot to mention the 235 came from a 1960 Apache so it was originally 12v.
Last edited by COWayne; 01/18/2018 12:19 AM.