Wondering if anyone has made a similar mistake or can make any recommendations. I pulled out the 216 and put in a 235. Started and ran nicely. The wiring was original and heavily spliced so I pulled it out and replaced it with an original style '53 harness (already had it laying around). It starts up nicely, lights work, horn honks as expected. Important note - It will not start if the ignition is not on. Once it is running, when I turn the key to off it keeps running without missing a beat. I unhook the battery (both positive and negative) and it still keeps running without missing a beat. Yes, it still has the original generator. The only way I can get it to stop is to smother the carb. Clearly I've done something wrong. Oh yeah, I replaced the ignition switch to no avail. Sound familiar to anyone? Thanks in advance.


Wayne S.
Colorado Springs, CO