After 5 months of circling these 2 trucks I finally bought and brought them home this week. The better one (thankfully) is the deluxe truck with matching title. The other is the “parts” truck – I think it’s a ‘49 but am not certain. Came with a pile of spare parts too. I’m hoping to sort out what I need and then later I think the parts truck will have enough good bits that it can become someone (more ambitious’) project.
My wife has always liked AD era pickups but with a couple kids, they’re not ideal family haulers. She has never had a classic/hot rod/whatever you want to call it of her own despite my attempts. She really likes the panel so my intention is to do this one so that she’ll be comfortable driving it. We’ll call it “hers” – but she’s good at sharing.
Initial plan is stock chassis with ifs, 5.3 ls and automatic. I have plenty of sbc and 4 speed setups on hand but I think fuel injection and one of those transmissions made for shiftless people is more appropriate for this rig. Here’s a couple pics.
Or not.. for some reason I thought we were doing pics here now. You’ll have to imagine what it looks like. Lots of surface rust and a dent in the passenger side rear fender. Got it? Good. The next imaginary picture is the parts truck. Lots of surface rust and a beautiful dent free passenger rear fender to swap onto the other truck. Third picture to imagine is of hoods, rear doors, bumpers and stuff stacked like cordwood that came as part of the package.
Been looking at lots of threads and pretty well confused and undecided on what front suspension/crossmember to use.