++++ times 10 to the above. Only time I've pulled a Stovebolt oil pan was while chasing and repairing leaks. This experience indicated that for me, it's a day job. First scraping and cleaning the block and pan particularly the flange area of the block and then the pan. Then once the pan's off the cleaning and prepping/painting prior to replacing takes longer than you'll expect. I used a lot of Purple Power cleaner (full strength) and a stiff brush to remove all the old gunk. Also used high pressure water to flush the oil tubes. You'll see what I mean when the pan is on the workbench.

I do like Jerry's trick on adding diesel or kerosene to start and speed the sludge removal process, I'll use that trick somewhere down the road. And as Martin suggested, go for a drive, then get on with the day.

Good Luck, Ron




RonR


1951 3600 with Clark flatbed, T5, 4.10 rear
1970 340 Duster
1990 5.0 V8 Miata (1990 Mustang Gt Drivetrain)
1964 CJ5