Today I can either fix a rocking toilet in my house or take my truck for its first drive on a public road in 6 years, and enjoy the fruits of an engine tune-up and new rear shocks. It’s my last chance to do either of these (the toilet or the truck), for the next few weeks, because I’m having shoulder surgery next week. Obviously, today the truck wins out.

While she’s warmed up, I’ll put in new motor oil. While doing that, I’d like to drop the oil pan, which I’ve never done before, partly for curiosity and partly to remove the sludge that I imagine is in there.
My question is, is dropping the pan a simple and speedy operation, or might it lead to other things that prevent me from reassembling the truck for several weeks?

And while I’m in there, should I be doing anything other than inspection and sludge cleanout? I think Hotrod Lincoln once warned about removing certain shims and changing some clearance, so I ain’t touchin’ any shims.

Lastly, I do not have a new set of gaskets and seals for the oil pan. Is it a huge no-no to try to reuse the old oil-pan gaskets and seals? Will I have massive leaks?

Thanks. Have a great Sunday.


DJ
'51 Chevy 3104 1/2-ton 216