My truck sat at a buddy's place for 2 years and when I went to take it home, the RF wheel was locked up. It skidded all the way on to the trailer and broke loose at the last minute. I was able to roll it back off the trailer (well carefully winched it off) and the wheel rolled OK, but with a tight spot. When I got to pulling the drum off, I found that it was an accumulation of rust that was dragging the shoes into engagement. For now, I pulled the adjuster off, put it in the vice to brake it loose (couldn't do it on the truck even with the adjuster exposed) and backed it off all the way. I suspect the wheel cylinder was locked up also, as Jerry suggested, as the system has been open for those two years (I managed to cut a brake line when I removed the bed - OOPS). The truck is getting a complete brake job before it hits the road.


Kevin
1951 Chevy 3100 work truck
Follow this saga in Project Journal
Photos
1929 Ford pickup restored from the ground up. | 1929 Ford Special Coupe (First car)
Busting rust since the mid-60's
If you're smart enough to take it apart, you darn well better be smart enough to put it back together.