Hello. I just noticed something weird under the hood on my truck. If you're standing in front of the truck and looking at the firewall, just to the left of the voltage regulator is a ceramic junction block. Coming off one side is a wire going to the starter motor, and coming off the other side is a wire going to the coil. I assume the "function of this junction" is to always provide power to the starter, but provide power to the coil only when the key is on (I could be wrong).

Here's the weird part. Somebody in the last 20 years has jumpered together both sides or terminals of the junction block. I haven't yet removed the jumper to see what happens.

Q1: If my assumption in the first paragraph is correct, why would you want power to the starter but not to the coil? Maybe for the obvious reason of wanting to turn over the engine but not start it, such as when doing a compression test? But you could remove the coil wire to the distributor for that. Just curious.

Q2: What would be accomplished (or harmed) by installing this jumper? I'm curious what this person (probably my now-deceased step-father), was trying to accomplish. Seems like I may have continuous power to the coil, which, I think, would burn up the points???

Thanks.


DJ
'51 Chevy 3104 1/2-ton 216