48 Loadmaster w/Dump Bed
I have taken the dump platform off and will be refinishing. Some of the beams are indeed in bad shape but the majority are useful. While the bed is off I am doing some brake work on the rear wheels and replacing a leaking axle seal. I have a question about the clamp plates that I removed while taking off the wheels. The clamp plates were in the inside next to the brake drum "two deep" on both sides. It appears they were put there for spacing as the tires are 10" and require additional clearance from the springs and frame.
According to Grigg Mullen's(Bolter # 6590) in the Tech Files mentions the clamp plates purpose is to "add strength at the center of the wheel". It is my thought that the clamp plates purpose is also to act as a "spring" tensor between the lug nuts (which are not tapered) and the wheel/hub setup and if so then order of placement could be important. Do any maintenance/service manuals speak to placement?
There are two types (see pictures below) of clamp plates one with a concave rise at each hole and one that is flat. I would like some insight on the placement of both types. I hope to change the tires back to spec so that I will not need the 10 inch spacing.
Click here for picture file