Thank you all for your input. It is nice to have this valuable resource.
So what I am learning from your replies is that the clamp plate should be on the outside of the wheel with the convex (raised) side of the plate toward the lug nuts. This makes more sense than the way that they were positioned when I acquired the truck because the plates were on the interior being used as spacers. I now also notice that this matches what you (Grigg) noted in your article in the section titled "
Note on the 10-lug wheels with 7.25” bolt circle[b][/b]' regarding the front clamp plate which is on and in the correct position.
Picture of front left wheel with clamp plateNext - some of the wheel bolt holes are wallered-out on two of the wheels. With the clamp plates and spacers in this more of a problem, less of a problem, critical, fixable (welding) or just need replacement? I have attached pictures of the wheels in question.
Wallered-out wheel #1 Wallered-out wheel #2Since the wheels are "Hub Centric" it is less important regarding centering. But is it structurally safe?