Thanks John.
I first power washed the frame a couple of times, then used 60/80 Garnet blast media, then used the POR15 degreaser and then the POR15 Metal etch, following the instructions very carefully. The POR15 was then brushed on. the metal flash rusted ever so slightly after washing the acid etch off and letting it dry, but I wasn't too worried about that.
I accidentally hit the frame with a hammer (pretty hard) while attempting to remove the front leaf spring bushings, and was surprised that it did not have any affect on the paint...hopefully the rest of the frame is bonded just as well. I was able to recycle the Garnet media at least 5-6 times. I paid $15 for each 45 lb bag. The worst part was when I was under the frame and I spilled about a cup of paint on my chest.... then my arms, neck, etc... I looked like a coal miner for about a week!