Tim is right, a lot of states are different when it come to buying out of the state you are in.
In Missouri, I can buy and instate vehicle and just take to title in, pay the sales tax for a title in my name.
If I buy an out of state vehicle, I have to have a VIN verification by a licensed state inspector.
A few years ago, I bought at an farm auction a what they said was a 1951 with title. Did not pay much for it, hauled it home and unloaded it a field, did not check the VIN.
Straight to the DMV and got a title in my name.
This past fall, I put an ad in the swap meet threads, offering it up for sale at a very fair price.
An interested member here, that live in Virginia contacted me and since he is out of state, let me verify the VIN to the title.
Well, nothing matched up.
Turns out that VIN numbers before 1954 went by the engine S/N.
The door jam S/N number is just for tell what, when and where the truck was built.
Also pre 1954, GM did not stamp the frame for a VIN.
So, I load it up and take to the Missouri Highway patrol inspection station.
The officer was very nice, I already had the front left tire off, to look for a stamped frame, the door jam S/N cleaned and the block S/N clean and easy to read.
No luck.
The truck is a 49 by the door jam S/N, the title says it's a 51 and the motor S/N is a 53.
It's a parts truck now.
Truck without a title and a title without a truck.
I call it the Frankentruck and it is on the trailer ready to head to the Homecoming.
Funny thing is, I can make it street legal in Missouri by putting Historic tags on it, state inspection is not required.
Sorry for the long story, but if you buy out of state, check the VIN and know your state laws.
Don