I'm trying to get brake lights on a 1950 truck operational again and I'm stumped. I'm probably missing something obvious. But I readily admit wiring is not my strong suit.
Here's what I've done so far.
Tail lights work.
Swapped bulbs from tail light to stoplight, both bulbs work in tail lights.
Checked fuse. It's good.
Started at brake light switch.
Discovered no power to switch.
Rewired from fuse box to switch.
Checks to make sure voltage passes through to other pole on switch when pedal is depressed. Meter shows consistently just under 6V.
Ran a new 16-gauge wire from the switch to the back of the truck.
Confirmed end of wire has voltage with a meter when pedal is depressed.
Hooked up wire to correct wire coming out of tail light assembly.
Pushed pedal and cannot get the bulb to light.
I thought, perhaps, the assembly itself or the wire feeding it was bad. Checked resistance from the tail light assembly wire to the terminal inside the bulb socket and the meter pegged.
Very confused. Voltage to the wire, good resistance to the bulb socket and a good bulb should light up.
Is there something obvious that I'm missing?
Thanks in advance for the wisdom of your experience.