Originally Posted by dgrinnan
I have wondered about some of the chrome paints? Have you tried chrome paint instead of the silver?

I know this is an old thread but if you haven't bought chrome paint yet,save your money.
In order to get my original painted grill back to some form of driver quality,I bought some 'chrome' paint,made if I remember by Hycote.

I had a couple of damaged bars and opted to strip the grill to individual parts,repair what was required and repaint etc.

Here's the finished result, it was far from chrome but after putting it all back together the last thing I wanted to do was repaint it!

You cannot top coat the paint,it's soft as heck and simply didn't stand the test of time,the lustre died and it had rust through within months.
Long story short,don't waste your $$$,put it to good use and have your original re-chromed.

Edit: Even just washing it with ordinary car shampoo was enough to knock the gloss off...it really is THAT soft. big_eek

Last edited by jockbolter50; 11/06/2016 6:57 AM.

1950 Chevy Advance Design 3100 in Scotland
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Flickr.
I've definately got this truck thing in my blood ... my DNA sequence has torque settings
"Of all the small nations of this earth,perhaps only the ancient Greeks surpass the Scots in their contribution to mankind" Winston Churchill.