I'm working on putting the '41 back together. Thought it would be amusing/interesting to find out how much it would cost to have the grill (upper and lower pieces) re-chromed.
I contacted a reputable shop and he said....it will be cheaper for you to buy a new one. I said, so more that $1500 and he replied "yes". I made a remark about the quality (or lack of it) of re-pop and he agreed.
He went into great depth of what they did to rechrome a piece and I got it. I asked him what I should do to it if I wanted to have in rechromed down the road, and he said just shoot it with some Rustoleium spray paint to keep it from rusting. Anymore than that will cause more work when we get ready to rechrome it.
My pockets aren't that deep.
~ Victor
1941 3/4-Ton Pickup (in process). Read about it
in the DITY Gallery1955 Grumman Kurbside "Doughboy" 235/3 on tree w/ OD
1957 3100 - moved on
1959 C4500 Short Bus "Magic Bus" - moved on
1959 G3800 1 Ton Dually "Chief" - moved on
1958 C4400 Viking "Thor" ~
moved on to fellow Bolter