Thanks Joe.
Actually I just bought it from CA!
The spec sheet with the rebuild kit calls for 11/32" of float on 80-84 trucks - I've got mine at 3/8, so I'll change that tonight. May be that simple. Fingers crossed.
After tinkering for a few evenings things seem to have gotten worse - she'll barely pull herself around the lot, and the vac needle is swinging wildly.
Couldn't get a torque wrench on the manifold bolts, but I did 'em up snug and a half turn with a short combo wrench. There's a bit of soot from the inner exhaust ports (2/3 & 4/5)coming upon the rocker cover (I've seen this before) but I don't think the intake is too loose or over-tightened.
I'm going to try to eliminate a few possibilities: Although I'm not suspecting ignition I picked up a new cap and rotor because it's not going to hurt.
My old carb which was a bit of a bastard made from several and missing several bits - nonetheless did run well until the day I pulled it off. I'll stick it on just to see if anything improves - which would point to the new carb.
Also, if the idle tube, seat, or metering rod is incorrect - the old carb should have the correct (or more correct) one.