I got it running and brought it up to temperature - but something's not right.
Initially I got it going with a fairly smooth (but too high) idle and 20 inches of vacuum, but I'm having a bit of trouble 'reading' the results of my adjustments. When it idles the best it's blackening the plugs, and I can't seem to get a steady idle at 750 where it should be.
I've got the choke full off. Engine up to temperature. I've set static timing to 12 BTDC (vacuum plugged)- although it idles best at 15 BTDC. Both vacuum and flyweight advance are working. (can tell by the movement of the mark) Set the idle speed as low as it would go, and started backing out the idle bleed for the highest idle speed.
Sounds nice - but the vac guage is down to a jittery 12-15 inHG.
Absolutely everything is new except the carb which is a correct monojet that I picked up and "half" rebuilt. (The kit was pretty barren - accelerator pump, disharge ball and spring, gaskets, and float needle).
Probably just out of practice, but any suggestions on what order to set things up?
I also noted that it ran best just before the bleed screw backed entirely out (where it stalled). does "more out" lean or richen the mixture?
Here's a youtube clip on the first start. Oddly enough, it ran decent on the "guess it's likely to start" settings I dialed in before cranking - and I've made it worse with the procedures above.