So I did a bit of historical searching today and found the following. The swage lock tube compression fitting wasn't invented until 1959.

The petcock was invented in the early 1900's. So, I am assuming that in 1946 that gas tank valve was most likely a petcock. Even on this Ford forum it mentions these types of valves during that era. They make total sense. Their either totally on, or when you want to change the fuel filter on the fuel pump, its easy to turn off especially when you have a full tank of gas.

I just want to keep Lucille as original as possible. I believe that will keep her more valuable. A 70 year old truck that is a survivor is amazing to me. How many vehicles today will make it to 70? I'll be 70 myself in 2017!


"Lucille" ..... Proud Member of the "Southern Stovebolts"

David Wolff
1946 Chevy 1/2-ton
In the Gallery