| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,122 Posts1,056,332 Members48,439 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Jun 2006 Posts: 24 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Jun 2006 Posts: 24 | Hello all, been a while but I have a fire back under me to get my 51 built. Without boring you too much here is what I have and my plans with questions.
1951 3600, stock besides the 235 6 banger. I had bought a 1997 s-10 ex-cab to do a chassis swap a few years back but am now scraping that idea and going to build off the original chassis.
I have a 3100 front end (spindle to spindle, springs, steering links etc) so that I can do the disc conversion that so many companies make.
I have been building in my head as well as planning out on paper, making spreadsheets of companies and costs of things.
Here is my plan.
Doing a power steering conversion from company such as Westerchassisinc.com. my question is when doing this, I thought I read I’ll need to swap my shock location because of the box moving forward and other side of the rail, is this correct and is there a kit or just use the mounts for the right on the left and the left on the right type of thing?
I have a BBC (454) I am going to do a rebuild on and not go too crazy with HP, mate it with a built 700R4 with a 9 inch in the rear.
I’ll get a rewire kit from someone like America Autowire, get a simple upholstery kit. For the most part I am going to keep most of it stock with the exceptions of the important (safety items).
So at this point I guess my only question is about the front shock location when doing the power steering conversion. Also any input or ideas or suggestions would be great. Thank you and looking forward to getting on this build (early September is what I am shooting for)
| | | |
Entire Thread
|
51 3600 build, questions
| 51FarmTruck | 06/29/2016 5:27 PM |
Re: 51 3600 build, questions
| bartamos | 06/30/2016 5:02 AM |
Re: 51 3600 build, questions
| 51FarmTruck | 06/30/2016 7:10 PM |
Re: 51 3600 build, questions
| bartamos | 06/30/2016 7:17 PM |
Re: 51 3600 build, questions
| rfs56trk | 07/01/2016 5:32 PM |
Re: 51 3600 build, questions
| bartamos | 07/01/2016 9:10 PM |
Re: 51 3600 build, questions
| Hotrod Lincoln | 07/04/2016 5:46 PM |
Re: 51 3600 build, questions
| coilover | 07/05/2016 5:49 PM |
Re: 51 3600 build, questions
| 51FarmTruck | 07/20/2016 7:43 PM |
Re: 51 3600 build, questions
| 51FarmTruck | 01/24/2019 3:38 PM | |
| |
| |