The fun part of racing is sneaking a modification past the tech inspectors! In the immortal words of Smokey Yunick "It ain't cheatin' if ya don't get caught!" I had a few tricks up my sleeve to make "stock appearing" parts perform way above their expected level, and most of the tech inspectors I was dealing with weren't sharp enough to figure out what I was doing. That small-displacement engine was right on the ragged edge of illegal because we weren't supposed to change the stroke, but most of the tech crew figured only a fool would build a smaller than "legal" engine. Of course, they never figured out that building a smaller engine would translate into more RPM when the carburetor was the limiting factor. My engines always sounded like a bumblebee on steroids, and if I we ever got out front, there was no catching us.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!