This starter on my 52 panel with a 1979/80 305 V8.
It spins like a top when engine cold--no compression.
..however, I've notice on occasions with engine hot, and depending on how long it sets before starting, that it spins the engine like the battery is about dead, but battery is good but not confirmed. (maybe I need to switch battery for a day?
I'm thinking either the starter is "dragging"
OR the starter is getting hot causing it to drag till it cools down, or the compression goes down on engine. (again, battery?)
I know some engines had insulation or shields on them to prevent them from getting hot. (Starter was new 5000 miles ago)
I'm just being lazy about pulling it off, or hunting down some insulation and just wondering what you guys think. It always spins fast when engine is cold or has set cooling off for a little bit which means the starter is dragging when the engine has compression or the starter is hot and has to cool off.
...OR the battery may NOT be up to the task for starting an engine with compression???.. I've seen that before in my day.
What cha think...do I need to carry a battery and jumper cables to test my theory, or pull the starter for a load test at my favorite starter shop?
The simple things first I guess...have I answered my own question? LOL
Last edited by Achipmunk; 04/02/2016 12:40 AM. Reason: clarification