Ready for a good laugh? Read on....I think I'm getting to old for this!
Rebuilt a '56 truck 261 engine for my 50 coupe and finally got to start it up today and then things got exciting.
Everything on go...or so we thought. Put the gas to it and after it turned 2 or 3 rounds there was a little "ka-pow" like a rifle. OK, gas getting to carb. Turn it again and "ka-BOOM, like a cannon. Ok, OK, so the distributor is 180 off. Reset the distributor and it started right up. 50lb of oil pressure (had already primed it up) and temp rising. Saw temp gauge drop back a little and figured OK, the thermostat just opened. Ran it for at least 15 minutes and the gauge started climbing. Mmmmm, I'm think its getting a little too warm....lets stop and check things. Then POW.....the radiator hose blew off the water pump about the time I turned it off.
...well, wouldn't you know it was something stupid. I had pulled the cardboard from the engine side of the radiator that I had protecting the nice aluminum fins. I THOUGHT my Nephew's son was pulling the cardboard off the front of the radiator. Nope, cardboard still there. Problem solved.
Mopped up the mess, and wondered if very much got in the carb. Hit the starter and it fired right up. Man, does that 261 run sweet. Very good throttle response and the engine seems strong and just chewing at the bit's ready to go. How sweet it is. Am I smiling? you bet.
A little fine tuning and we're good to go.
..and the reason the hose came off?? Since heart surgery and some recent health problems my upper body strength has suffered pretty bad. The hose clamp was just not tight enough. My fault.
Still, a bad day in the shop is better than a good day in the house! This is my "tale for the day". Hope you enjoyed my adventure as much as I did. Man, it runs so sweet.
Last edited by Achipmunk; 03/20/2016 4:23 AM. Reason: clarification