Newbie from Motown
Hi All,
My name is Joe Finkelstine and I just joined last week. I do not yet own a Stovebolt but am preparing to own one within the next year or so.

I am hoping to learn as much as I can in this forum and I have many questions I will begin scattering over the other forums once I read the tech tips and other background information before I bug you all.

I have really taken a liking to the Art Deco-ish C3100 series pickups (1941-1946) and this will be where I target a purchase. I just love their looks and I can’t stop staring at those beautiful grills.

I grew up working on cars in the 70’s and had a Plymouth Roadrunner in the 90’s before the arrival of marriage and 4 kids made keeping the car quite problematic. Fast forward to today, and 3 of 4 are out of college, last one is 2 years to go, and I actually have a spot available to me now in my 2 car garage. I thought a Stovebolt would be a much better fit than my daily driver.

I have the first marriage of my oldest (3 daughters and a son) and 1 semester of dual tuition left that both clear as of summer of 2016 — I hope to get something then and for now, I am going to follow the advice I give my students when I teach them Radio control flying and they show up at our field — I tell them to do their research, and this is now good advice for me.

Several of my good friends in my flying club are also old car enthusiasts and they stopped me from buying a Stovebolt last week. They did what all good friends do, they challenged me as to if I have done my homework and what was the feedback on the dealer I was looking to negotiate with, along with their misgivings about me doing a sight unseen purchase of a truck in Texas. I had to admit they were right (That is the key problem with good advice; it always goes against what I want to do!)

I have so many specific questions like, how do those splash lubricated 216’s hold up over time, vs. several 1940’s I see that have newer 235’s replacing them?, etc. — Much for me to learn

I love the OEM look and want a truck that I can drive and not be afraid of its cost — not a project, and not a trailer queen, and certainly not a heavily modified truck — a clean OEM-ish Stovebolt that is not perfect and wants someone to take care of her and drive her in the summer months in Michigan where I live.

I will be reading much in these forums and if any of you reading this own a truck in the vintage I am looking to target I would love to chat with you about what to look for when I start my searches in earnest

Thanks for letting me in!

Joe Finkelstine


Joe Finkelstine
Born and bred in Motown