Howdy All --- Looks like I need to relocate a major frame crossmember on my 1-1/2 ton and wanted to poll some opinions. I have always been told to keep welding to a minimum on these older frames due to their metallurgy & design. With the need for a new main crossmember I have not come up with a viable alternative to attach it so I wanted to hear from some others hopefully more knowledgeable in this area.
My frame is already missing the front engine mount crossmember so I really need to make this replacement strong & secure. Hot bucked rivets are out of the question given my toolbox and skills, so I am looking at partially boxing the section in question via a welded plate attached to the upper & lower rails, then adding the new crossmember with large, grade 8 bolts to that plate. The crossmember itself will be 2" square x 1/8" thick tube in a slight arch to clear the driveshaft and the plates probably 1/4" plate.
Any thoughts? Warnings? Experience from you "serious" chassis builders?
Thanks in advance.