Update
Truck was running fair most of the way on two lane roads 40-45 MPH.
Got into Columbia Mo. Where I had to drive thru downtown Broadway. Cementary just past there.
Before I got to the downtown area, at a stoplight a few cars back from the light. When the light turned green, I killed the engine starting off. Hit the starter and nothing. Not a click, just nothing.
Lucky it was a four lane road and I was a little back from the light.
Turned on the rear beacon which worked and got out when it was safe.
Popped the cab and tried doing the starter screw driver jump, nothing, no flash/arc, nothing.
Tried from the main starter cable to the frame and a small spark.
That's when I called the towing company to come and get me, I had their phone number with me and then called the wife to meet at her brothers garage, also the director to tell him I will not make it.
At this time a city COP pulled up, with his lights on and I told him the situation and asked if I could get in and cool off some. Turned out to be the head of the K-9 unit in the city and a real good old country boy.
I enjoyed talking to him as we waited.
Did I say it was at a main intersection?
Tow drive showed up about an hour latter, he came 50 miles also with his wife on a Sunday.
Turned out he was the same guy that hauled the 1970 American Lafrance home for me.
After another 45 minutes of work getting it hooked up with my help, where I could (tool runner), we were on our way. I also thanked the COP as he sat there a long time keeping us safe.
Got it to my brother in laws garage and now it's well over 90 degrees and not much wind.
Driver went right to work starting to get it unhooked laying in the grass and he yelled "I gotta get outta here". Turned out we had parked in the grass over a bed of small fire ants that bite. He shed his shirt really quick and we brushed him off, he thru the shirt in the trash and had some small welts showing.
Then the bill paying time came after the work was done.
To my surprise, it was way less than I expected for a 20 mile tow of a 25,600 pound truck. He cut me a deal and said thanks for the help. Good people are willing to help.
Another thing, I called the director when I was about half way there and he said they had a really big flag to hang from the ladder and somebody to video tape the procession, as it came by the Firetruck under the flag.
I'm really sad, I was only about a mile away and could not be there for them.
I wish it could of held out a little longer till after the cementary.
Time for a shower and bed.
Don