SUCCESS !
an update.
the reason it was running rough yesterday was that,
though I had thought that I set the gap as documented,
the 'way that I did it' actually set the gap too small.
Yesterday I had inserted the gap gauge,
used the adjustment screw to close/tighten down on the gap gauge,
tightened the other screw that holds it all in place,
and then removed the gap gauge.
I turned the key, it started, and I said hooray for now, and shut it off.
Today, checking the points gap again, I found that the points gap had actually closed behind me when I removed the gap gauge - so I had inadvertently set the gap too small. it was enough to start the engine, but not enough to run well.
I adjusted the gap today so that the gap gauge would slide in and out of the gap freely when set (compared to 'tightening down' onto the gap gauge),
and then tightened the hold down screw.
it is now running much smoother.
I high revved it and it is very smooth and powerful. in fact, I cannot believe how good it runs now. smokes some (as before), but smooth running - idling and at high revs.
still some more work to do in the way of timing, etc, but that can be another thread
after having changed out all of the parts, and finally getting it to the point where it would start again and run well, I realized that it had actually been running really bad before all of this happened. I will try to post some pics tomorrow to help anyone who might fall over this thread in the future.
Thanks Again !