To clarify, I hand operated the pump a couple times while aiming what I believed to be the outlet pointing at the surface of some liquid. Happened to be transmission fluid in a pan after I rebuilt my th400.
First time I ran the pump from the small can it was likely too low for the pump to suck anything out.
Second time I ran the pump from the small can it was bungee corded to the grille, good and high. I had also used a funnel to prime the lines. Holding the funnel higher than the carb and pouring gas in the gas line caused the in and out tocbotg fill with gas.
The sender on top of the tank has nothing but two cut wires coming out of it. Doubt it is a correct tank. Or at least not a correct sender.
If the hole on the bottom is a drain then the fuel line had been hooked to that. In the pic there is a valve on the left side of the thing in my hand. Probably the drain petcock.
Seems like the following...
The fuel line was hooked to drain instead of sender.
The drain has broken off of the tank.
I have an incorrect sender.