Well, it has been interesting at least to hear all the responses to my original question.

This all started because I wanted to make sure that I was identifying this tranny correctly for the purpose of ordering some replacement seals for the torque tube ball joint area. I have been told there are differences between the 3 and 4 speed, which makes sense.

Before asking the original question days ago, I too had look at all the pictures and specs between the 3 and 4 speed tranny's.

The cold hard fact is...that I have a 591195 case, with a serial number DO110286 stamped on the case and a January 1947 cast date. In addition, there are FOUR forward gears, with first being a granny gear and reverse is all the way to the left and forward towards the dash.

The transmission runs smooth as silk and I plan on keeping it a long time. I just wanted to verify it's nature, since these trucks are now so old and rare.

Moving forward, I will just order the seals/shims for a 3 speed case and move on.

Thanks to all for your opinions and suggestions.