I found the problem, like an idiot I was looking over little stuff, the throttle linkage was hanging on the shaft it swivels on (on the side of the block close to the exhaust outlet) and I was only getting about half throttle out of it. So I wasn't running many RPMs, I guess with straights, and no insulation in the cab yet and being "floor boarded" I thought I was running alot more RPMs.
I fixed it from hanging up and cleaned out the blow by tube and it ran 60 pretty decently.
I appreciate y'all's help and input.
I did the tire trick and got about 3-3/4 turns of the shaft, but I also ran the numbers on the ring gear and they're darn sure 3.73s. And now it's acting like it should.
1 more question, is a 54 truck 235 solid lift?
I think the lifters need to be adjusted, shes got some clatter, or is it just natural for them?