Okay, I got my numbers today, but unless 3B can pull another rabbit out of his hat, I still don't know if it is a 265 or a 283.

Block Casting # is 3731548
This means it is a one year only block, 1957, no side mounts, 265 or 283. It was used in a lot of '57 vehicles, including the 283/283 HP, dual 4 barrel Corvette.

Block ID Stamping # (on the machined pad in front of the passenger head) is 9V69488.
This number doesn't follow GM USA protocol. The only digit that correlates to anything is the "V", which might mean Flint Assembly.

The head casting numbers are 3731556HC Made in Canada. These are a Canada only spec head, used only on '57 283 trucks. The HC may mean High Compression.

So, unless 3B can decode the block stamping number, I wont know if it's a 265 or a 283 until I pull the heads and measure the bore.

3B, I'm not going to scrap this truck, it has a lot of potential. It is even nicer now that I vacuumed up 20 lbs of mice poop and all the former seat stuffing that they had used to make nests out of. The void between the double panels around the rear window and the roof were absolutely stuffed.
Thank God I live in "Rat Free Alberta".