Has anyone explored the possibility of adapting a true bypass thermostat like those used on most modern engines to a 235/261?
I am building a 261 at this time and I am having a difficult time finding the parts for the original big "bypass" 261 thermostat. Plus after looking at what pictures I can find I don't think it is a true bypass system.
Since the thermostat housing is a separate piece on these engines it looks like it wouldn't be too difficult to adapt one. But, I don't want to reinvent the wheel if someone has already done it.
I know about drilling holes in the thermostat to keep water flowing and prevent hot spots from forming. However, the water passing through those holes is returned to the radiator and is chilled again before returning to the engine thus doing nothing to prevent thermal shock. On a cold morning the 235 engine in my pickup (with a drilled thermostat) the engine temperature will go to about 195 degrees (180 degree thermostat) then plunge to less than a 100 degrees when the thermostat finally opens. I know this is not good for the engine and causes unnecessary wear and tear especially if you are under heavy load at that time.
What I am proposing is a bypass port under the thermostat that returns the engine water back to the water pump to be recirculated through the engine until the thermostat opens which closes the bypass port and forces the water through the radiator.
Any thoughts?