Hi all, I'm new here. What a nice place you guys have. I am working on my first "old truck". It's a '53 chevy 3100 that someone replaced the original 216 with a 235. From the casting numbers it appears to be a 55-57 engine. I am trying to get it running. Several valves have a ton of lash, I'd say nearly a 1/4". I removed the lifter cover and noticed that the plunger inside some of the lifters were sunk down inside the lifter. This is after I changed oil, filter, and primed the oil system with a drill for about five to ten minutes. So the with the side cover off I primed the oil again and instead of pumping up, I noticed that oil just seemed to flow past the perimeter of the plunger then spill out of the lifter. The lifters are clean and not seized. Any ideas? Thanks for any help!