I would like to thank everyone for helping me with this.
I think that with the help of Steve's (Red 49 Truck) suggestion I've got this wupped.
When the first rebuild didn't work, I pulled the carb off the 216 in the '51 setting in the back yard. This is a Rochester "B" with the "C" cast on the bowl cover and stamped after all the part numbers. The same carb that people refer to as the Rochester "C". It has the wider bolt pattern (for 235?) so I simply used the carb base off the original "B" carb when I rebuilt the "C" carb. It seems that's where the problem was because I pulled the carb base off a third carb (also a Rochester"C") put it on the base of the original rebuilt "B" and she runs fine.
I did notice however that the second carb, the so called Rochester "C" seemed to wake the old 216 up a bit, it ran crisper, accelerated faster, climbed hills faster, and oddly enough, used less gas than I'm used to.
So there you have it. The ONE THING I did NOT change was the cause of all of my trouble. On the bright side she does have new plugs, wires, cap, rotor, points, condenser, fuel pump, fuel filters, rebuilt carb, and timeimg, points, and valve lash all set.