OK, so you're saying I should mic the journal, then shim the clearance of the main bearings to get about .0015" to .002" If I then snap the bearing 90 degrees from that measurement, what is the permissible out-of-round?
Should I take these measurements with the bearings dry? Or with some light oil applied to prevent the snap gauge from marring the bearing shell?
If I set the crank on the bench, then lay the #3 thrust shell on the journal and measure the end clearance with a feeler, will that give me a rough measurement of end-play? I plan on checking it in the engine with a dial indicator. But I don't want to put a lot of labor into the clearances if the end-play is off from the start.
Once I'm sure that the clearances are right, should I torque the crank down w/out the oil seal and see if she'll spin freely? Then remove crank and install oil seal, cut the ends flush, and seal the rear mating surfaces with Halomar in a spray can? Do I leave all the caps loose, or just the thrust cap when I "tonk" the crank snout to line up the thrust bearing?
As if you couldn't tell, I plan on being obscenely anal about this build. I want this engine to last a long time. Not being able to drive my car has been agony for me. I will use as much money, time and beer as it takes to do this perfectly.
Thanks
Chip