I've worked on a number of 216s over the years and never had any problems setting the timing according to the good advice on this site, and without a timing light or any other mamsy pamsy devices. I've assumed that I must be pretty fantastic.
Now I have my newly installed 235 in place of the cracked-block 216, and it runs just terrible. It has all the signs of poorly adjusted timing. It runs hot, it has no gumption, on the road it feels consistently like it is bogging down. It doesn't start so well.

My wife is worried. When the truck runs bad, when it is so close to running well, it affects my normally sunny disposition. I would really like to get it on the road tomorrow - a big happy summer holiday in Sweden.

I set the initial timing according to a recent post from Hot Rod Lincoln, timing mark on the flywheel and the opening of the points. I've been tweeking the timing both this way and that with a consistent result in that every adjustment makes it worse.

So I am probably too far advanced, eh? To retard one turns counterclockwise, right? Advancing the timing makes the engine run faster, right? I am just enough frustrated so that I can't think clearly. I hope someone out there is less frustrated.

Thanks for letting me vent

Karl


It may not be the easy way, but it is the Cowboy Way - Ranger Doug
Beware of the stories you read or tell; subtly, at night, beneath the waters of consciousness, they are altering your world. - Ben Okri
1953 Chevy 3100
1960 Volvo PV 544
1941 Chevrolet Special Deluxe