jss1956,
You did your research...good job. On the ammeter, the CHARGE side is the battery side is the + side...make sense. The other side of course is the DISCHARGE side...the - side, where all the loads, and alternator connect.
Your wire sizes for keyswitch to coil and coil to distributor are way to heavy. 14 gauge would be fine. I would step the ammeter to keyswitch wire gauge up to a 12 ga.
Your alternator #1 (smaller wire) goes exactly where you indicated, and #2 can wrap around to the large BATT lug.
You don't need to ground the ignition switch, and I'm not sure of the terminal functions on it, but a ohmmeter would sure help you out.
I don't know what system a '56 car had, but if you're running 12 volts, the best idea would be to have a internally resisted 12 volt coil, then no ballast resistor or other monkey motion is required.
Stuart