| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,105 Posts1,056,208 Members48,436 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Aug 2004 Posts: 143 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Aug 2004 Posts: 143 | First restoration I've ever done so some rookie questions here. I'm restoring my '50 3100 and electrical is definitely not my strong point. I have the frame setting on wheels with the rear end, front suspension and brakes basically completed. I dropped in a rebuilt '56 235 out of a Bel Air and want to test run the engine before I reassemble the cab & bed onto the frame. Got everything bolted in and ready except the wiring. I've converted to an alternator setup so I've got the DA Plug. I need to know if the following setup is what I need to simply start the engine and run it to break in the cam & dial it in:
1. The + side battery cable connects to the starter switch. 2. A 10 ga wire runs from the starter switch to the amp meter + terminal. 3. A 14 ga wire from the ignition switch to the amp meter - terminal. 4. The heavy alternator wire connects to the - terminal of the amp meter . 5. The light gauge alternator wire connects to ignition switch terminal. 6. A 10 gauge wire runs from the ignition switch to the resistor then to + side of coil. 7. A 10 gauge wire runs from the - side of coil to distributor.
My first question is does this sound correct? Am I missing anything? Second, do I need a resistor for the amp meter since it's originally a 6 volt? Next, the ignition switch has 3 terminals and I'm not sure where the wires outlined above connect? There are no markings on the switch/terminals and the diagram in the shop manual only shows 2 being used. Finally, do I need to ground the ignition switch? Thanks!
It never costs more to ask and it never costs more to think big.
| | |
| |
| |