Thanks, Bill, appreciate your help.
But on closer examination today, I see that it will be impossible to slide a one-piece bed in after all.
The side rails are welded to the bed sides and they were brand new replacement parts and the truck has been painted.
So, I'll have to do it the one-board-at-a-time way and figure out some way to reach up under the gas tank....
I bought the bed pieces/hardware from Brothers and although the oak looks great they did not include any instructions. I phoned them last week and they told me to check out this website for the order of the boards:
http://gmcpauls.com I got more from photos I've found on this website, but wish I had bought the Mar-K kit with instructions!
Pretty crummy customer service from Brothers and they even included the wrong block kit. Sent me four blocks with 2 pads instead of the 6 pads pictured on their website.
Still trying to figure out where the floating cross sill goes and how to attach it....
Cheers,
John