My '53 3100 Resto-mod is almost ready for the road again as soon as the persistent snow melts, that is…
I am in the midst of replacing the bed with the proper oak boards and it dawned on me that it might be easier to pre-assemble it on some sawhorses.
The floating cross-member nearest the cab would hold things together underneath and I could put another wood strip on the underside near the tail gate.
Then, with the help of some friends we could slide it in and then just finish off the 4 long bolts and the side rail bolts.
Otherwise, I will have to drop the rear-mounted fuel tank to gain access to the board bolts as I install them one at a time.
Has anyone tried this before? Any other advice?
Thanks and I promise to post pictures of La Noche as soon as I'm done. It is quite the story of buying someone else's partially-completed project a year ago and then working with a great shop to undo all of those mistakes and come up with a great ride.
In the end, I drove her halfway across Canada last fall before parking her in my heated garage for the winter and I'm now doing the oak bed, myself. No sign of spring here yet, so I've got a couple weeks to get the bed done right! Cheers.