Gazz,
An old Chevy looks like a perfect condo to vermin, and the headliner and header panel are the penthouse suites.
I implemented a two stage strategy to hinder their success: one was to fabricate a "mouse baffle" at the front body mount area as there is nothing to stop an enterprising mouse from climbing up through the side kick panel to gain access to the a-pillar (on a deco model). Secondly, I used a small piece of 20 ga sheet metal that is perforated with ~3/16 holes and fitted it into the a-pillar from below, and attached it with adhesive caulk. I think the scrubbing pad idea would work, but be mindful to not impede water/drainage flow from condensation.
Oh, I suppose I actually have a three pronged approach as I also have a mouser cat and dogs.
I can send you some images of my remedy, and think I still have some of the perforated metal if you are interested.
*****Always wear a mask or respirator when cleaning up rodent waste...Hantavirus is a bad way to die.*****
Paul
Last edited by Paul_WNC; 03/18/2014 11:54 AM.