Frist, I think for the amount of time it takes to remove the engine or build it in the truck you can do a better job and easier out of the truck.
I like to build engines so for me it's a good time.I send the parts out to be machined and do the rest myself.It is a little cheaper doing the teardown and rebuild but not that much.
I've know people that remove the engine and take it to a shop and others who just bring the truck over and have it all done.As long as the shop does good work I don't think it makes any difference.
Money,of course is a large part of why you might want to do as much of the work yourself.
Pete
One good thing about a crate engine that in most cases you can pull you're old engine and put in the new one over a weekend with some help and you'll be back on the road.
Last edited by Pete52; 02/12/2014 8:29 PM.