The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
6 members (Ponchogl, Bill Hanlon, Southerntruck, Otto Skorzeny, 1955 1 Series, 1 invisible), 124 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,113
Posts1,056,279
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 102
M
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
M Offline
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 102
Hello, I bought a radio off of ebay pictures below, now I want to install it. I think there is a bracket that goes from the back of the radio to the firewall. My question is I see a picture of the bracket on 46chevytruck.com and I found a bracket on chevsofthe40s.com. Will the bracket from chevsofthe40s.com work to install this radio? Or will I need to find an original bracket? Has anyone installed this radio before on a 46 AD Truck and do you have any tips?

Radio Picture 5
Radio Picture 4
Radio Picture 3
Radio Picture 2
Radio Picture 1
Radio Bracket Picture From 46chevytruck.com
Radio Bracket Picture from Chevsofthe40s.com

Thank you.

Last edited by mauricioaglr; 03/30/2012 5:15 PM.

1946 Chevy Truck Export Blue with Black Trim
Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 171
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Nov 2000
Posts: 171
This radio was also used for passenger car installation, in fact the right angle brackets are turned down and it will fit the passenger dash.
The bracket they have looks adjustable ,take some messurement then give them a call. Or I would think you could make your own bracket looks fairly simple

Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 629
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 629
I fabricated mine from the photos that are on my web page. It is actually really easy and can be done with stock from any hardware store, a drill and something to cut the metal stock. Far cheaper than the part listed.


Tim Sheridan
1947 First Series Chevy 1/2-Ton
"Liberty Series" - "Art Deco" - Whatever you'd like to call it.
In the Gallery
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 38
W
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
W Offline
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 38
Hello,

I have a 1941 1/2 ton and the same radio. I am going to fab a bracket as they are a bit hard to find. If I can I will make two and you can have the other. By thE way did you need to get yours repaired and if so who did for your?

Wayne


Wayne Selway
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 102
M
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
M Offline
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 102
That would be great, I still have not installed my radio. I bought it on eBay and it was already rebuilt, I havent tested it so hopefully it works smile or I will be looking for someone to rebuild it as well.


1946 Chevy Truck Export Blue with Black Trim
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 102
M
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
M Offline
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 102
Where should I connect the radio power too? The Amp Meter? Or Accessory connector on ignition switch?


1946 Chevy Truck Export Blue with Black Trim
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
I noticed that you used the letters "AD" in the subject line. Normally I think of AD trucks as 1947 2nd series to 1953. In these years the radio instructions showed power being connected to either the ammeter or the unswitched side of the ignition switch. It leads me to believe that the ignition switch was not designed to handle the radio along with everything else, through the switch. I don't know how it was wired in 1946 but someone may have the instruction sheet.


1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed


My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 102
M
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
M Offline
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 102
I forgot to mention one important thing, I am not running the original ignition switch I bought the switch below from chevsofthe40s. I have a 235 motor from a 58 truck and I have converted to 12 volt.

My Ignition


1946 Chevy Truck Export Blue with Black Trim
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,321
H
'Bolter
'Bolter
H Offline
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,321
Mauric,
Here is the wiring diagram for the 46.
Radio not shown but you could hook onto the Dome Light at the ignition switch(Panel Truck) since the pickup does not have one.
Just find a switched "hot" lead.
http://chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com/electrical/wiring/pdf/46truck.pdf
Harold

Last edited by Harold46; 05/28/2012 10:06 PM.

Harold
Is a restoration ever finished?
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
I think you want to either hook on at the ammeter or the ignition switch and use an inline fuse. The only question is whether to go through the switch or not. If you are using a voltage dropping device for your heater and your radio then the current through the switch will be the same as a six volt setup.


1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed


My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 102
M
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
M Offline
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 102
My ignition switch has 5 connectors (ignition, battery, accessory, solinoid, ground) I have the yellow cable from the DA plug from alternator and the positive coil cable on the ignition connector, the gas gauge on the accessory connector, and the ammetter on the battery connector. I do not have anything connected to the ground or solinoid connectors.

My Ignition Setup/Connected

Should the Radio go on the accessory connector with the gas gauge?

What purpose does the solinoid and ground connectors have? I have the foot starter.





1946 Chevy Truck Export Blue with Black Trim
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
It sounds like the ignition switch is an upgraded version that can handle a key start, hence the solenoid terminal. I don't know about the ground terminal. I would hook the radio up to the accessory terminal along with the gas gauge. Also you need to use an inline fuse.


1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed


My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 102
M
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
M Offline
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 102
I dont have a heater/defroster, but if I did where would I connect it? Ammetter or accessory connector?


1946 Chevy Truck Export Blue with Black Trim
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
That is what the accessory terminal is all about. It is switched with the ignition key so that it is not powered with the switch turned off.


1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed


My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,388
M
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
M Offline
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,388
I connected mine on the ammeter, because I like to listen to the radio in the truck while I sit and look at the ocean, or park at a car show, etc. Fred is right on about the fuse though, "electricity's safety valve". I'm able to listen for an hour or more, and still fire up the old bus just fine.


Christopher
1950 1-Ton
"Rochester"
In the Gallery
In the DITY Gallery

1949 GMC Panel Truck
1926 Model TT Truck
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,146
J
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
J Offline
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,146
Originally Posted by mauricioaglr
I dont have a heater/defroster, but if I did where would I connect it? Ammetter or accessory connector?
According to these heater installation instruction/diagrams.
Diagram A
Diagram B
You would attach the Heater switch to the dead terminal with switch in off position.

Original factory ignition switch does not have a accessory position.
This picture shows a 1954 switch. There are 3 terminals.
I am not sure but a think (1) terminal is for 6 volts from ammeter and the other (2) terminals go hot 6 volts when key is switched on.

For Chevy ignition switch history click here.

Thanks



Moderated by  truckernix 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0